- save the date
Plan to Join Us
MasterLab is about building a sense of what is possible in Diabetes Advocacy. If you are called to advocacy MasterLab will connect you with people, resources and skills be be a better advocate. The best way to get a feel for Master Lab are the slides and video archive from the Diabetes Advocates MasterLab from the summer of 2014 at the bottom of this page. It was presented by the Diabetes Hands Foundation in collaboration with Children with Diabetes.
Save the dates July 7 and 8 and make plans to attend our second DiabetesAdvocates MasterLab this summer.
To get started, we invite you to take our Diabetes Advocacy Survey, so we can keep you updated with opportunities for Diabetes Advocates.
We don’t want to reinvent the advocacy wheel. There is already outstanding leadership on many diabetes-related issues. If you have not done so already, we encourage you to learn these advocacy efforts. Adding your voice can amplify these efforts to help people with diabetes.
Join the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists call for legislation to create a National Diabetes Clinical Care Commission. Send their letter to your representative/senators or adapt it and send your own version.
Virtual MasterLab – 2014 Slides & Videos
Slides from MasterLab (July 2, 2014)
Video footage from MasterLab (July 2, 2014)
You can watch a playlist with the whole day’s worth of footage below, allowing you to skip presentations by clicking on the “NEXT” button in the video player.
You can also watch individual presentations:
- Opening remarks – Manny Hernandez (DHF)
- Keynote: Today’s Diabetes Advocacy Environment – Paul Madden
- Regulatory Interest in Public Participation – Stayce Beck (FDA)
- Roundtable: “What I wish patient advocacy looked like” Mod. Mike Swearingen
- What Has Been Accomplished by Other Patients (and How) – Michael Mangianello (HIV/AIDS activist,HCM Strategists)
- How Diabetes Can Do It Too: A Roadmap for Diabetes Advocacy - Manny Hernandez (DHF), Bennet Dunlap (StripSafely)
- Understanding Diabetes: Knowledge & Solutions – Kelly Close, Adam Brown (Close Concerns, diaTribe)
- Getting the Attention of Decision Makers – Rebecca Killion (PWD, Patient Representative at FDA)
- Mobilizing the Diabetes Community – Kerri Sparling (SixUntilMe)
- Making a Successful Ask, Role Plays – David Lee Strasberg (PWD)
- Wrap Up and Calls to Action – Manny Hernandez (DHF)
We invite you to share these videos with others, so that we may spread the word far and wide.
Additional resources discussed during MasterLab
- Back to Basics and “How To Survive a Plague” – HIV/AIDS ADVOCACY AS A MODEL FOR CATALYZING CHANGE
- Diabetes Advocates webinar with HIV/AIDS Activist Peter Staley
- Easily track the activities of the United States Congress: through GovTrack.US, or Congress app.
- Subscribe to diaTribe, Research & Product News for People with Diabetes
Diabetes Advocates MasterLab was made possible thanks to generous contributions made by the following organizations.