Advancing new leaders & their visions to improve life with diabetes.
Thank you to Lilly Diabetes and Novo Nordisk for providing event sponsorships, and
Lilly for providing scholarships & allowing selected fellows to attend without financial burden.
Our new MasterLab Leadership Institute will be an intensive, exciting, weekend conference featuring expert mentorship, leadership development, and social entrepreneurship workshops to support leaders implementing positive changes for the greater diabetes community.
MasterLab Leadership Institute is Seeking:
- Passionate, driven leaders in the early stages of a project to improve life with diabetes.
- Non-profits, small businesses, social enterprises, grassroots projects, or anything in between.
- Applicants and projects that represent the diversity of the diabetes community: Type 1 diabetes, Type 2 diabetes, POC, LGBTQIA+, & international friends encouraged to apply.
Benefits of Attending:
- 20 accepted Fellows accepted into the 2017 cohort will be given a fully-funded scholarship, and flown to the San Francisco Bay Area for an intensive weekend (March 31-April 2).
- Fellows will attend hands-on workshops with expert mentorship from innovation experts, entrepreneurs, and non-profit leaders.
- Fellows will learn how to refine their organizational model, use the lean startup method, sharpen their leadership toolkit, find sustainable funding, and increase their social impact.
Through our work in the diabetes space, we’ve seen the need for more diverse community leadership, and sufficient support for those passionate leaders. Often, people touched by diabetes are under-represented in decision-making spaces and leadership roles. In addition, the Diabetes Online Community (DOC), previous MasterLab events, and community leadership have had an underrepresentation of people touched by Type 2 diabetes and people of color. This is in contrast to the fact that “…American Indians and Alaska Natives, black or African Americans, Hispanics or Latinos, and Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians, and other Pacific Islanders, have a higher prevalence and greater burden of diabetes compared to whites…” (ClinicalDiabetes Journal, 2012).
Through this program, our goal is to robustly support a diverse group of diabetes advocates and leaders that represent the full spectrum of the diabetes community – Type 1, Type 2, etc. We are looking for emerging leaders who are passionate about creating change, want support to advance their projects, and are driven to create meaningful impact.
Instructions for Applying:
Please see below for additional details; we hope you apply! Applications due February 15. Questions about the program not answered below can be emailed to Mandy Jones, Director of Advocacy, at email@example.com.
Si desea una copia de la solicitud en español, envíe un correo electrónico a Mandy Jones, director de programa, firstname.lastname@example.org
Confirmed Speakers & Mentors
Dr. Greg Makoul
Founder and CEO of PatientWisdom
Tara Lynn Gray
CEO; Crowd Funding & Entrepreneurship Teacher
Co-Founder at Rhubarb Studios
Tech Advisor; Entrepreneur
Non-Profit Founder; Community Advocate; Health Tech VP
Collaboration & Partnerships Consultant
Business School Instructor; Small Business Advisor
Founder of Trifecta Capital
Executive Coach for Mindful Leadership; Founder
Thanks to generous grants from Lilly Diabetes and Novo Nordisk, this event is made possible. Thanks to Lilly, fellows are able to attend on full scholarship. Diabetes Hands Foundation provides oversight of Diabetes Advocates and this program.
Frequently Asked Questions